- Conduct ethnographic research to understand what motivates your audience.
- Reframe marketing strategies to align your product with future behavior.
- Create an interactive Futurecast report to immediately leverage new business opportunities.
What will you learn in Business Forecasting and Trendspotting?
- What is a Futurecast?
- Qualitative Methods, Part 1 (Customer Observation, Generating Hypotheses)
- Culture Codes; Myths, Signs, and Symbolism
- Fast Culture vs Slow Culture
- Qualitative Methods, Part 2 (Sensory Ethnography)
- How Ideas Spread, Part 1
- The Diffusion of Innovations, “The Tipping Point” Model
- Qualitative Methods, Part 3 (Depth Interviews, Object Analyses)
- How Ideas Spread, Part 2
- Why/Which Things Go Viral, Elements of Persuasion
- Qualitative Methods, Part 4 (Social Media Listening, Digital Ethnography)
- Influences, Part 1
- Top-Down vs Bottom-Up (Examples of Establishment vs CounterCulture Influences)
- What Makes Things Cool
- Influences, Part 2
- Make Your Own Culturematic
- Industry Examples / Organizations/ Resources (Nesta, IDEO, Mintel, Business of Fashion, etc)
- Cultural Convergences (Examples of Trends “jumping” industries)
- Where to look for movements and shifts (Food, Music, Art, Current Affairs, more)
- How to build this exercise into a professional practice
- Final Project: Ideas, Tips & Tricks, Recommendations for Building the Report
- Sharing: How to communicate your ideas to others
Prerequisites: A healthy curiosity about the world around you and the willingness to peer deeper into the ordinary, the odd, and everything in between.