- Learn real-world techniques to develop immersive content for original series, games, commercials and more.
- Gain skills in Unity that apply to storytelling in VR.
- Create your own VR production from concept to distribution, ending the course with a final product you can include in your portfolio.
Producing Augmented and Virtual Reality Experiences
- Fall 2 Term Begins
- Oct 22
The future of storytelling starts here. Our flexible, online courses are 8-weeks long and asynchronous to accommodate your busy schedule.
What will you learn in Producing Augmented and Virtual Reality Experiences?
- Introduction to Immersive Storytelling
- History to Immersive Storytelling
- Influences from Cinema and Video Gaming for VR
- Platforms and Tools—360 Video, Room Scale VR, AR, BBOC, Light Field
- Thinking Experientially
- Adapting a Script—Writing, Blocking and Boarding
- The Cooperative Audience
- Project Development
Prerequisites: No coursework is required from previous classes.
Required Software: Unity
Required Textbooks: Katz., S. (1991). Film directing shot by shot: Visualizing from concept to screen. Michael Wiese Productions: Studio City. ISBN-13: 978-0941188104.
McLain, B. & Barnes, J. (2016). The imagineering pyramid: Using disney theme park design principles to develop and promote your creative ideas. Theme Park Press: USA. ISBN-13:978-1941500965.
Peddie, J. (2013). History of visual magic in computers: How beautiful images are made in cad. London: Springer. ISBN-13: 978-1447149316
Rheingold, H. (1992). Virtual reality: The revolutionary technology of computer-generated artificial worlds – and how it promises to transform society. Simon & Schuster: New York. ISBN-13: 978-0671778972.
Dekker is a writer, director and artist working on the bleeding edge of technology and storytelling. As chief creative officer of immersive studio Clever Fox, his oversight on brand experiences with Star Wars, Bose, Warner Bros Records and Disney has made him a go-to expert in VR.
He directed and co-directed the first two VR documentaries from Participant Media (An Inconvenient Truth, The Help, Spotlight) as well as the first VR concert film at the iconic Red Rocks Amphitheatre. He’s the creator of the original VR series The Depths and the immersive film series Electric Sheep. He is the host of the VR Talk Show The Future is Virtual from Embolden Media.
After two decades in media Dekker continues to be a leading industry speaker, essayist, festival juror and commentator.
Course: Producing Augmented and Virtual Reality Experiences